Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/21065
Title: Response resurgence in the peak procedure
Contributor(s): Bizo, Lewis  (author); Lockhart, Rachael (author); McHugh, Mark (author); Foster, T Mary (author); McEwan, James (author)
Publication Date: 2012
Handle Link: https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/21065
Abstract: In separate experiments the timing abilities of brushtail possums and domestic hens on the peak procedure was investigated. This procedure involved animals responding on two trial types within an experimental session. On some trials responding was reinforced according to a Fixed Interval (FI) schedule, and on other trials, Peak Interval (PI) trials responding was not reinforced with food. Possums lever pressed and hens key pecked for food reinforcers on different FI schedules, and the duration of the PI was varied across a range. For 20% of trials, responding was not reinforced longer than the FI schedule that was in effect on the other 80% of trials when responding was reinforced. Response rates typically increased to a maximum at about the time the responses were normally reinforced and then decreased after the time that food would normally be reinforced, before increasing again towards the end of the PI regardless of the duration of the PI trial. When relative response rates were plotted as a function of relative time the function typically superposed for the ascending, but not descending portions of the function. The results are discussed in terms of Weber's law, and various quantitative models timing.
Publication Type: Conference Publication
Conference Name: 9th Annual Conference of the New Zealand Association for Behaviour Analysis, Wellington, New Zealand, 1st - 2nd September, 2012
Conference Details: 9th Annual Conference of the New Zealand Association for Behaviour Analysis, Wellington, New Zealand, 1st - 2nd September, 2012
Source of Publication: New Zealand Association for Behaviour Analysis 9th Annual Conference Programme, p. 6-6
Publisher: New Zealand Association for Behaviour Analysis (NZABA)
Place of Publication: Auckland, New Zealand
Field of Research (FOR): 170101 Biological Psychology (Neuropsychology, Psychopharmacology, Physiological Psychology)
170112 Sensory Processes, Perception and Performance
170199 Psychology not elsewhere classified
HERDC Category Description: E3 Extract of Scholarly Conference Publication
Other Links: https://nzaba.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/complete-programme-nzaba2012.pdf
Statistics to Oct 2018: Visitors: 18
Views: 68
Downloads: 0
Appears in Collections:Conference Publication

Files in This Item:
3 files
File Description SizeFormat 
Show full item record

Page view(s)

76
checked on May 3, 2019
Google Media

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in Research UNE are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.