Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Saleyards||Contributor(s):||Ihde, Erin (author)||Publication Date:||2014||Handle Link:||https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/16408||Abstract:||By the end of the 19th Century, as Armidale and the surrounding districts continued to develop, Council saleyards became necessary to replace temporary yards set up close to the Town Hall and at various hotels. In 1906 relevant legislation was passed and the Armidale City Council raised £700 to construct permanent saleyards. On 14 October 1909 Council saleyards were opened opposite the railway station and by 1911 excellent sales were being reported with buyers from around the state, attracting the comment that 'there was no reason why the New England owners should take their stock elsewhere, when such a strong market can be obtained locally) Sheep were walked to the yards, using the full moon to travel, longer distances requiring overnight yarding along Travelling Stock Routes. After sale, stock could be loaded directly onto rail trucks.||Publication Type:||Book Chapter||Source of Publication:||Armidale: 150 Years, p. 157-157||Publisher:||Armidale Dumaresq Council||Place of Publication:||Armidale, Australia||ISBN:||9780646912660||Field of Research (FOR):||210303 Australian History (excl Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander History)
160514 Urban Policy
|HERDC Category Description:||B1 Chapter in a Scholarly Book||Other Links:||http://nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an52970884||Statistics to Oct 2018:||Visitors: 303
|Appears in Collections:||Book Chapter|
Files in This Item:
checked on May 3, 2019
Items in Research UNE are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.