Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||A Person-Centred Approach to Assessing the Nervous System
||Contributor(s): ||Byfield, Zachary (author)
||Publication Date: ||2020
||Early Online Version: ||2019-10-16
||Handle Link: ||https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/31706
||Abstract: ||LEARNING OUTCOMES |
- Describe the anatomy, physiology and functions of the nervous system.
- Identify specific topics for consideration during a health history assessment interview of a person with a neurological disorder.
- Explain techniques for assessment of neurological function, including examinations of mental status, cranial nerves, sensory nerves, motor nerves, cerebellar function and reflexes.
- Identify manifestations of impairment of neurological function.
- Describe normal variations in assessment findings for the older adult.
- Conduct and document a health history for a person with or at risk of alterations in the neurological system.
- Conduct and document a physical assessment of neurological structures and functions.
- Perform specific neurological assessments for people with suspected meningeal irritation and for people who are disoriented or comatose.
- Monitor the results of diagnostic tests and report abnormal findings.
- Cotton balls
- Safety pin
- Tongue depressor
- Tuning fork
- Reflex hammer
- Pencil and paper
- Printed materials
- Substances to test the senses of smell and taste
The nervous system coordinates body functions, muscle movements, senses, mental abilities and emotions. It collects information from the internal and external environments as sensory input, processes and interprets the input and causes responses that are manifested as motor or sensory output.
|Publication Type: ||Book Chapter
||Source of Publication: ||LeMone and Burke's Medical-Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking for Person-Centred Care, p. 1484-1509
||Publisher: ||Pearson Higher Education
||Place of Publication: ||Malaysia
|Fields of Research (FoR) 2008: ||111099 Nursing not elsewhere classified
||Fields of Research (FoR) 2020: ||420599 Nursing not elsewhere classified
||Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) 2008: ||920210 Nursing
||Socio-Economic Objective (SEO) 2020: ||200307 Nursing
||HERDC Category Description: ||B1 Chapter in a Scholarly Book
|Appears in Collections:||Book Chapter|
School of Health
Files in This Item:
Show full item record
Items in Research UNE are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.