Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/14142
Title: Partitioning the genetic variance into genomic and pedigree components for parasite resistance in sheep
Contributor(s): al Kalaldeh, Mohammad Zaher (author); Gibson, John (author); Van Der Werf, Julius H (author)orcid ; Gondro, Cedric (author)orcid 
Publication Date: 2013
Handle Link: https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/14142
Abstract: In this study, we estimated the additive genetic variance explained by genomic markers for parasite resistance in a large mixed population of sheep and compared this estimate to the additive genetic variance explained by pedigree. Furthermore, we partitioned the total genetic variance by fitting both of genomic relationship matrix (GRM) and numerator relationship matrix (NRM) simultaneously into a genomic component explained by genomic relationships and a polygenic component explained by pedigree relationships. In this analysis, all the genetic variation explained by pedigree could be captured by the 50K SNP chip markers. When both of GRM and NRM were fitted simultaneously, 73.7% of total genetic variance was explained by genomic effects while the remaining variance (26.3%) was explained by pedigree effects. The proportion of genetic variance explained by genomic effects was further partitioned into 26 chromosomes. A significant relationship was found between chromosome-specific variance and the length of the chromosome (R² = 0.26). This indicates that disease resistance is a largely polygenic trait with a large number of genes involved in the mechanisms of resistance but there are some chromosomal regions that explain a larger proportion of the variation.
Publication Type: Conference Publication
Conference Name: 20th Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Animal Breeding and Genetics: Translating Science into Action, Napier, New Zealand, 20th - 23rd October, 2013
Conference Details: 20th Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Animal Breeding and Genetics: Translating Science into Action, Napier, New Zealand, 20th - 23rd October, 2013
Source of Publication: Proceedings of the Twentieth Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Animal Breeding and Genetics, p. 412-415
Publisher: AAABG: Association for the Advancement of Animal Breeding and Genetics
Place of Publication: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Field of Research (FOR): 060412 Quantitative Genetics (incl Disease and Trait Mapping Genetics)
Peer Reviewed: Yes
HERDC Category Description: E1 Refereed Scholarly Conference Publication
Other Links: http://www.aaabg.org/aaabghome/proceedings20.php
Series Name: Proceedings of the AAABG ... Conference
Series Number : 20
Statistics to Oct 2018: Visitors: 499
Views: 523
Downloads: 1
Appears in Collections:Conference Publication
School of Environmental and Rural Science

Files in This Item:
3 files
File Description SizeFormat 
Show full item record

Page view(s)

176
checked on Apr 24, 2019
Google Media

Google ScholarTM

Check

SCOPUSTM   
Citations

 

WEB OF SCIENCETM
Citations

 

Items in Research UNE are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.